Way back when, we dropped the details on DC's 2013 animated film lineup. The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 was released in the beginning of the year, while Lego Batman: The Movie and Superman: Unbound are slated for release next month.
We finally have details for the last movie announced for 2013: Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox! Slated for release on July 30, 2013, The Flashpoint Paradox (a slightly updated title from its original) follows Barry Allen, as he wakes up in a world completely unlike the one in which he fell asleep. I mean that literally: Allen falls asleep at his desk and wakes up in a world unlike the one he knew. Superheroes are at war, dead characters are alive, alive characters are dead, and, most pertinent to Allen, he has no powers!
When time travel allows a past wrong to be righted for The Flash and his family, the ripples of the event prove disastrous as a fractured, alternate reality now exists where a Justice League never formed, and even Superman is nowhere to be found. Teaming with a grittier, more violent Dark Knight and Cyborg, Flash races to restore the continuity of his original timeline while this new world is ravaged by a fierce war between Wonder Woman's Amazons and Aquaman’s Atlanteans. With breath taking action and an all-star voice cast, it's a bold, emotional vision that will forever change the landscape of the DC Universe.
While the Geoff Johns/Andy Kubert Flashpoint miniseries isn't my favorite DC event in the recent history, The Flashpoint Paradox is easily the most ambitious comic-to-film adaptation DC has ever done, and I'm certainly looking forward to it. The cast is a little Grey's Anatomy heavy, but there are few names here that should make any DC animated fan happy.
- The Flash/Barry Allen: Justin Chambers ("Grey's Anatomy")
- Batman/Bruce Wayne: Kevin Conroy ("Batman: The Animated Series")
- Flashpoint Batman: Kevin McKidd (Trainspotting, "Grey's Anatomy")
- The Reverse Flash/Professor Zoom/Eobard Thawne: C. Thomas Howell ("Southland")
- Aquaman: Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride, plenty of awesome things in the early 90s)
- Wonder Woman: Vanessa Marshall ("Young Justice," "Metal Gear Solid 2")
- Cyborg: Michael B. Jordan ("Friday Night Lights")
- Superman: Sam Daly ("The Daly Show," and, er, "Grey's Anatomy")
- Gen. Sam Lane: Danny Huston (X-Men Origins: Wolverine)
- Green Lantern/Hal Jordan: Nathan Fillion ("Castle")
- Deathstroke/Slade Wilson: Ron Perlman (Hellboy)
- Lois Lane: Dana Delany ("Body of Proof")
That's one hell of a lineup, don't you think? Kevin Conroy returns as Batman; Nathan Fillion again donning a green ring (figuratively); Dana Delany returning as Lois; Ron Perlman reprising his Deathstroke, and even Sam Daly taking up his father's mantle as Superman... there's a lot here to like (or at be intrigued to see.)
With a July release, there's no doubt we'll be seeing more of this from Comic-Con. We'll keep our ears to the ground and let you know if we hear more.
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox is set for release on July 30 on DVD, Blu-Ray, and digital download.
UPDATE: Hit the jump for the full press release!